Pages

Thursday, January 20, 2011

Whole grain muffins, gluten free and dairy free



Maybe it’s the cold weather and carb-cravings, the need to feel warmth in the belly when warmth from the sun on the face has long been absent, but I found myself day-dreaming about muffins on the train home Tuesday night.  I got lost in it, like one gets lost in a complex novel.  Time ceased to exist.

By the time I arrived home, I had a recipe nearly worked out in my head.

The added challenge would be making these xanthan gum and guar gum free.  But, as a second step from cookies, muffins are a taking it to that next level of difficulty, but still within a range of ease.  To start, I began with something savory, something akin to corn muffins.  Something that would go deliciously with the chicken and vegetable soup I had made the previous evening.

I started with amaranth flour and ended with a good helping of maple syrup. 

Even as I spooned the batter into the muffin cups, I knew.  The smell was sweet, familiar in a distant-memory sort of way.  The texture and consistency was perfect.  As they baked, the house filled with a warm golden aroma and the tops cracked beautifully, and I knew.

I am definitely on to something.

By the way, it seems I’m in good company in my gluten free muffin daydreams.


Whole grain muffins
These have a wonderful flavor and a nice medium-weight moist crumb.   Although they are perfect as a dinner side, I can also imagine them split open and buttered with a drizzle of honey or a spoonful of jam alongside scrambled eggs at breakfast. 
 
1 cup sorghum flour
¾ cup amaranth flour
¾ cup tapioca flour
½ tsp baking soda
1 tablespoon baking powder
2 eggs
1/3 cup oil
1/3 cup pure maple syrup
¾ tsp salt
½ cup water

Heat oven to 350F.  Line a standard muffin pan (12 wells) with paper muffin liners.

In a large bowl, blend all dry ingredients to make one homogeneous flour mixture.  Make a well in the center of the flour mixture.

In a medium bowl, whisk wet ingredients together.  Pour the wet ingredients into the flour mixture and stir just until incorporated.

Spoon the batter into the muffin liners, each will be 2/3 to 3/4 full.

Bake on center rack for 20 to 25 minutes. 


2 comments:

ThE MidLiFe CrUiSeR said...

hose look jus like he Jiff muffins wihou all he hdrogenaed oils!! Nice job wih our creaion!

Lauren Denneson said...

It took me a minute, but I finally figured out what your comment said! Is your "T" key broken?? :)